In September of 1857 four settlers of Methodist background invited the circuit rider to visit Hampton to establish a congregation. In 1866 Hampton was recognized as having its first Methodist Minister. In 1869 our congregation numbered 35 members, which included Chapin and Shobe’s Grove. These early members met in schools, homes and other places until they started to build a frame Gothic structure, on the existing property, in September of 1870, at a cost of $6000. Their new church was dedicated New Years Day of 1871.